Where Does the Evidence Hide?
- Do you have all the digital devices which might contain evidence? (PDA’s, Computers, Cell Phones, iPods, cameras, etc.)
- Instruct your client to discontinue use of the devices and power them down until an image can be made.
- Instruct the client to list any websites or web pages which might be considered “of interest”.
- Obtain detailed information about the client’s computer usage.
Detailed information about computer usage will minimize your client’s expense by maximizing the use of the computer examiners’ time. Important questions to ask your client include……
- Is the device used for work, home, or both?
- Are there multiple users and does each user have a separate account and/or separate e-mail account?
- Who is/are the servicing ISP / e-mail providers?
- Are children using the computer and are there parental controls in place?
- Are any users involved in chat groups, Instant Messaging, Facebook, MySpace, etc.?
- Is the device used for banking and/or other sensitive transactions?
- Are photos saved on the device?
- Has the computer been serviced recently? When and by whom?
- Has the device been backed up to disc, tape, or an external hard drive?
- Was the device purchased new or used? If device was purchased used, who was the previous owner if known/or the seller?